Are you living with diabetes and craving pizza? Do you think pizza is not a good choice for Type 2 diabetics? Luckily, that is not the case! For a fast, simple meal, you just can’t beat a classic pizza recipe. We want to share a healthier diabetic-friendly version you can make at home. Make it by the recipe, or change it up to make it your own. The only rule: Top it with lots of vegetables and avoid any high-fat meats, like sausage and pepperoni. We used Mama Mary’s 7″ Ancient Grains crust to keep it quick and easy. It is readily available and easy to find. During the pandemic, however, consider making your own whole grain crust just for fun. Just remember it is best to make it a thin crust. Experiment with fresh cheeses and herbs for exceptional taste. Some traditional ingredients may not be healthy for people living with diabetes, but a pizza itself is not bad. Loaded with lean protein and veggies, it can still be a staple at dinner time.
- 1 7" Whole Wheat Pizza Crust, Mama Mary's Brand is a good option!
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Fresh Spinach
- 1 whole Roma Tomato, sliced
- 2 oz Cooked Chicken or Turkey Breast, shredded
- 1/4 cup Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Crumbled Goat Cheese, or cheese of your choice
- 2 tbsp Fresh Basil, ripped to preferred size
- Preheat oven to 425oF (220oC)
- Brush entire top of pizza crust with oil
- Top oiled crust with spinach, tomato, turkey or chicken, red onion, goat cheese, and place on sheet tray or pizza stone if available.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 8-10 min turning once. Alternatively bake to specifications on dough package.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil, allow to rest, cut, serve, and enjoy!