It’s football season and the Super Bowl is just days away! What Sunday afternoon game would be complete without chicken wings, especially the Super Bowl?! For a delicious, healthier version of an old favorite, try this easy recipe. Football fans may not be attending traditional parties this year, but these wings are a great, easy recipe that will be a welcome Super Bowl treat. No better time to refine chicken wings to be the ultimate jaw-dropping menu item for the next time tailgating is possible.
This recipe has been modified for people living with diabetes. Bread crumbs replace flour and an oven replaces frying. A medium-fat meat, chicken wings are full of flavor and a reasonably healthy choice. An average chicken wing has 43 calories and is 64% protein and 36% fat.
Better get cooking, the game will be starting soon!
Honey Mustard Chicken Wings (Diabetic Friendly)
- Sheet Tray
- Aluminum Foil
- Non-stick Spray
- 2 Bowls
- Raw Meat Brush (or get your hands dirty!)
- Measuring Utensils and Whisk
- 2 tbsp Spicy Brown Mustard (30g)
- 4 tsp Honey (20g)
- 1/3 cup Bread Crumbs (40g)
- 1-1/2 lbs Chicken Drumettes or Flats (approx. 16 pcs) (680g)
- 1/4 tsp Paprika, Sweet or Hot (1.25g)
- Preheat oven to 375oF (190oC), line cookie sheet with aluminum foil, and lightly coat with non-stick spray.
- Combine mustard and honey in small bowl. In a separate shallow bowl combine and toss bread crumbs and paprika.
- First brush each wing with your honey mustard mixture, then roll in the bread crumbs, shake off excess, and lay on the sprayed cooking sheet.
- Bake wings in the preheated oven for 30 mins or until crisp and registering internal temperatures of 165oF (74oC). Serve while hot and enjoy!
- For even crispiness rotate the cooking sheet 180o every 10 minutes, and for an even more pro tip, add a shallow tray of water to the oven while preheating to add humidity to your oven, just don't let it dry out, and don't forget to take it out when done.
Are you eating chicken wings correctly? It is easy to eat the drummettes but what about the flats? There is a simple better way to eat flat chicken wings that you may not have seen before. Visit our other chicken wing post, No Bones About It!